Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Super Moderator
43,291 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a few low transmission spots around the house and was thinking about installing a wi-fi signal range extender/amplifier.

Has anyone fited one of these and if so what type or model would you recommend and how effective is it?

Any useful comments would be appreciated.

·
Premium Member
148 Posts
I use the one that Sky provides FOC to their customers if required, gives a nice strong signal throughout the whole upstairs....

·
Registered
1 Posts
OP did you have any luck with this? ISP made me change routers and ever since I've not been able to get a wireless signal in half the house. They refused to give me anything but I was looking at something like this with two antennas it might reach around a medium house with thin walls I'm hoping? I don't want to have to buy more or cancel my contract with the ISP it would cost a fortune.

·
Super Moderator
6,170 Posts
OP did you have any luck with this? ISP made me change routers and ever since I've not been able to get a wireless signal in half the house. They refused to give me anything but I was looking at something like this with two antennas it might reach around a medium house with thin walls I'm hoping? I don't want to have to buy more or cancel my contract with the ISP it would cost a fortune.
I use the TP Link AV500 variety in my house - got it from a PC retailer, it works very well when set up correctly & my office is literally a shielded box :smile2:

Attachments

·
Premium Member
Captur 2017 1.5DCi EDC
3,760 Posts
Go for a Powerline type of adaptor that uses the house mains to transmit the signal. These will give a much better signal than a simple range extender that picks up a weak signal, amplifies it, then re-transmits without any improvement of the S/N ration.

They work on most UK homes, as long as the rooms are on the same electrical circuit.

·
Registered
26 Posts
What sort of distances are you looking to be expanding too and have you checked the channel usage in the area?

You might find there are alot of people using some of the ranges that your router is using this in turn will downgrade your signal and cause lower speeds + reduced range.

If this is to be the case AV powerlines will be the way to go provided all your electrics run into and through the same fuse board. Powerlines can be a bit naughty if not into a wall socket also, extension leads can cause issues.

If you can give some details of the coverage you are getting at present and check the current channel usage (play store - Wifi analyzer) pop screens or all information on here and I should be able to give more of an indication for you.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I use the TP Link AV500 variety in my house - got it from a PC retailer, it works very well when set up correctly & my office is literally a shielded box :smile2:
I've got one of these and put one in my Mums house too, works pretty well. If you're technically inclined you can sometimes re-purpose an old unused router (or buy a new one) to act as a range extender/repeater. In our house the signal comes in from the phone line to our Plusnet fibre router which gives WiFi coverage to the top two floors and also a wired ethernet feed to a TP-Link AV500 Powerline adaptor. This uses the household ring main electrics to take an internet feed to the other half of the AV500 which is situated downstairs next to the PC. This provides ethernet connection to the PC, WiFi to the back of the house and also provides a wired ethernet cable feed to a TP-Link AC1200 router at the front of the house. This unit is a full blown dual band router which provides WiFi to the rest of downstairs along with wired internet to the Smart TV.

Ours is only a small house over 3 floors but WiFi suffers badly from interference from a nearby industrial unit with a lot of very ancient machinery, hence the need for a few range extenders. I can highly recommend TP-Link kit and especially the AV500 and the AC1200 units for low cost and reliability.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts