Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok Thinking of buying a diagnostic tool for my Vel Satis 3.0d

But to be sure that it will actually work on vel satis im hoping that someone could give me advice from their own experience wich one to buy (MaxiScan, Autel, Elmscan, stand alone tool or not etc) :confused:... The price range should stay around 100$

thanks in andvance

·
Premium Member
138 Posts
Hi depends what year it is, if its a diesel, and after 2004, then it is either eobd2 or can-bus. If petrol, after 2000, same applies. if diesel and before 2004, then it is not suitable with current easily obtainable software- however, the automaxi fr704 will read the earlier diesel stuff on renaults. (and can be progged for others as well) Its the only readily available thing that the avaerage joe can get for sensible money, to do the early french diesels, AFAIK. Check www.gendan.co.uk for details of the protocols involved, they are very helpful, give them a call. The fr704 is cheaper off ebay tho'. Cheers!

·
Premium Member
138 Posts
forgot to say, if its eobd2 or can-bus, then there is freeware or demo stuff on the internet that will work, in which case get an elm 327 based connector for usb on your laptop/pc, , (don't bother with wireless/bluetooth unless you got good connectivity with your pc, I have issues with mine and bought cable connect) depending on your fault, that should be fairly cheap to diagnose equipment wise. Dave

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Car is 2003 3.0tdi (p9x)...

What exactly do you mean by- then it is not suitable with current easily obtainable software.

As i understand its pointless for me to buy diagnostic tools that supprot only for example obd/obd2/eobd/eobd2/can-bus cause theres 90% chance that they wont work? or did i missunderstood?

Or is it just the software program thats hard to find for the tools?

·
Premium Member
138 Posts
Hi jay,,,, as I understand it, euro diesels were not required by law to go to eobd2 until early 2004, it may be yours is already on that, but I would not say it is for sure. Call gendan, have a chat, they will help. If you check out the fr704, IIIRC it does eobd2 and dedicated french (inc diesels before 04; but ask gendan first) I use free progs off tinternet for my 04 lag dci, with varying success. Don't know if its any better or worse than dealer level, again gendan would know.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts