Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi. I'm in my 80's and drive fewer miles each year. I bought my Megane 1.4 in yr 2000 and it has done 21,000 miles without trouble. It's comfortable, and I if I had to replace it I'd choose the same model.

Car has an MoT and Renault service every year. Garage is about 20 miles away, and they lend me a car to drive into town, have lunch, and return later in the afternoon to pick up my car. Loan car is usually the latest model to tempt me to upgrade. No success because I don't like a card instead of a key. Neither do I appreciate auto lights, nor the new 'bottom' shape of the rear. So I'm keeping what I've got.

At my MoT/service in Jan2006 I was told I needed my timing belt replaced, not that it had failed inspection but because it was 5 yrs old. This at 16 000 miles only. I declined. I remembered the Espace which had my first toothed timing belt. Renault initially put its life at 36 000 miles but later changed it to 72 000. This Jan 2007 the garage once again reminded me the service required a new timing belt. I was shaken to be told the additional cost to supply and fit timing belt, with vat, was £349. List was over £400, there was current discount 20%. I declined. A week later, when arranging to take the car in, I again checked the price. This time it was about £30 more, - higher because my car has air conditioning. I still opted out, aware if belt fails a new engine can be needed.

My daughter showed me her bill for 'Supply and fit' a similar timing belt in her Peugeot 205 diesel (Under £80 dated 2003). Why does the Renault price seem over the top?

·
Premium Member
644 Posts
hi and welcome
your'll get a better price from an independant garage.
but yes the belt should be replaced at 5yrs regardless of mileage.it will be cheaper than a new engine if it does fail.

regards
nthesx

·
Premium Member
14,145 Posts
Hello & Welcome to the Forums Wilmer.

Great to see you have enjoyed your car it will be like parting with an old friend if you do decide to change it.

Tho I would go for a belt change.

Regards

Ottoman

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
nthesx: Thanks. I've again queried cost. Storeman tells me the kit costs them £125+ and it has metal bits as well as belt. I guess it's a bearing. Still looks excessive price.
The car losing value, so your 'go independent' may be the way. W

·
Premium Member
644 Posts
thats good stuff wilmer.stay with us and let us know how you get on

regards
nthesx

1 - 9 of 9 Posts