Independent Renault Forums banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Premium Member
430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am currently waiting on my Megane getting repaired. Have to wait for the parts to arrive. Renault are charging me £92 for fitting a new regulator as the passenger side window does not work.

I was thinking of doing the job myself and have read in many threads that the inside of the door panel (the stereo speaker in particular) should be sealed with some waterproof bathroom sealant in order for this not too happen again.

At the moment everytime when it rains I am getting water in the door pocket so clearly something is badly wrong and thats why the electrics have gone.

Does anyone know when Renault repair it do they also seal these parts with something similar? Will they also apply a sealent to prevent the same happening again?

I am pretty certain this has already happened to this car before as both the door cards havent been put back on the best. The passenger door is a lot better now after Renault were at it but from the driver side you can see the cloth panel part poking out a bit. The car only has 14,000 miles on it also and that worries me.

I have read that if the particular parts within the door frame are sealed then the electronic parts wont fail again and you also wont get water in the door pocket.

Thanks in advance for any answers. Much appreciated.

·
Premium Member
430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

·
Administrator
14,790 Posts
yes the regulator is the little black box with the chip inside! Getting the door panel off and back on can be fiddley, but a bit of time and patience and you should be able to do it yourself. Do you have a haynes manual?

I don't think you could mess much up... I was able to do it which means it can't be too hard :p:d.

·
Premium Member
430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
yes the regulator is the little black box with the chip inside! Getting the door panel off and back on can be fiddley, but a bit of time and patience and you should be able to do it yourself. Do you have a haynes manual?

I don't think you could mess much up... I was able to do it which means it can't be too hard :p:d.

I dont have a Haynes manual. I just have your pictures to go by and another web page that shows pictures and the tools required.

I had to leave my car with Renault 2 weeks ago. They took the door panel off and did something to ensure the window wouldnt drop down? What could this have been and does this look like its scuppered the chances of doing the repair myself?

·
Administrator
14,790 Posts
They may just have put a bar on the window to stop it dropping, I'm not 100% sure. I'd have to look at it... :p which isnt helpful lol. In any case this shouldn't cause any problems when taking the door off. I can help you with it where I can but yours is an 07 model and I don't think they're the same. :eek:

·
Premium Member
430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
They may just have put a bar on the window to stop it dropping, I'm not 100% sure. I'd have to look at it... :p which isnt helpful lol. In any case this shouldn't cause any problems when taking the door off. I can help you with it where I can but yours is an 07 model and I don't think they're the same. :eek:

Hello again Heather

Does that mean the doors are entirely different if they are different models?

I may just get Renault to do it at the cost of £92 but they dont have the parts now which is the annoying thing. They got their parts from Japan but the factory was destroyed in the recent Tsunami so therefore they have to source a new supplier! Renault UK have told me I could be waiting as long as September to get it repaired.

My main worry is that if a Renault garage do the repair will they also seal all the relevant parts with sealant as stated by yourself and other people on forums so that this does not happen again?

·
Premium Member
430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
no, they wont, they'd only love it to happen again to get more money from you.

Sorry dont mean to be rude but how do you know they dont mate? Have you had this repair done before?

I am just wondering because if they are now promising to cover 75% of the cost surely they would be wanting to make sure it doesnt happen again as ultimately they would be out of pocket?

I will only be paying £92 and the cost of the part alone is more than this

·
Registered
31 Posts
Sorry dont mean to be rude but how do you know they dont mate? Have you had this repair done before?

I am just wondering because if they are now promising to cover 75% of the cost surely they would be wanting to make sure it doesnt happen again as ultimately they would be out of pocket?

I will only be paying £92 and the cost of the part alone is more than this
The cost of the part is a quarter of that price on ebay so you would imagine renault are paying even less for it,
It's an hours work, Renault won't lose out no matter what
If Renault done things right in the first place these things wouldn't have to be fixed so why would you expect the job done right now

My advice would be to tell renault what you want them to do

·
Premium Member
430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The cost of the part is a quarter of that price on ebay so you would imagine renault are paying even less for it,
It's an hours work, Renault won't lose out no matter what
If Renault done things right in the first place these things wouldn't have to be fixed so why would you expect the job done right now

My advice would be to tell renault what you want them to do
Do you mean tell them to seal it?

·
Administrator
14,790 Posts
I used clear silicon sealant and most garages i'm sure would have it.... including renault :d. But I think you would have to ask them to do this! The part has rubber seals include and I would think that renault would assume this was enough!

The choice of whether you want to wait, pay the money and get Renault to fix it (the part will be be guaranteed for a year though!) or fix it now by your self is totally up to you. But maybe if you try to fix it now by yourself and if it doesn't work then you can resort to taking it to renault after that. :d

·
Premium Member
430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Guess what?

Left work yesterday. Got in car and it was very warm because of the weather so I decided to put down the 3 windows that do work and you have probably guessed it! Another window has gone! This time the back window on the drivers side!

OMG this car is an absolute joke. I was in a bad crash back in February and my car was a write off. It was a 2008 Chevrolet Lacetti 1.6 SX. I did 44,000 miles in it and not one problem. It was a cracking car for the money! I should have just bought another one.

The Megane I have is driving well but these electric windows are nothing short of an absolute joke!

Heather is it really hard to do this repair?

I mean Im not bad with my hands and am quite handy with DIY and the like so would it be quite possible for me to do both doors without any significant problems?

I have some questions and would love it if you would answer them for me.

1. When removing the switches etc do I simply just disconnect and then reconnect them when putting door back together?
  2. Would it be possible to just put silicone or insulating tape around the whole outside case of the regulator?
  3. Where do I put the silicone around the speaker as water has been filling up my door pocket?
  4. What exact tools do I need to get the job done and how long does it take and;
  5. When I take the inner panel off what happens to the actually window itself? Is there a possibility this could just fall out?
Sorry for all the questions but I would really appreciate your help on this. At the moment if Renault do the repair I have to pay £92 and seeing the other window has now gone also thats another £92. I just cant afford this and at the moment Renault dont even have the parts anyway! They are absolute clowns.

They should change all their showrooms and garages into tents because they are nothing more than a big circus!

·
Registered
31 Posts
When removing the switches etc do I simply just disconnect and then reconnect them when putting door back together?

simple as that, don't forget the catch at the handle

Would it be possible to just put silicone or insulating tape around the whole outside case of the regulator?

You could put silicone in some places but not on the regulator as cables need to move freely

Where do I put the silicone around the speaker as water has been filling up my door pocket?

If waters filling up you door pocket it's not getting in by the speakder, it's getting in from the door trim, you have 2 options, drill tiny holes in the bottom of the door or put holes in the seal at the bottom of the door, i done both, it worked

What exact tools do I need to get the job done and how long does it take and;
When I take the inner panel off what happens to the actually window itself? Is there a possibility this could just fall out?

window wont fall out, you will need, allen keys, screwdrivers, patience, wedges of wood to hold the window up when you take the regulator out, another person will come in handy
Are you buying a new regulator off ebay?

·
Premium Member
430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks for responding mate.

I was just going to clean the current regulators down and spray with WD40 or an electronic cleaning solution? Would something like this be ok?

http://www.maplin.co.uk/electronic-cleaning-solvent-28993

Then I was just going to connect it all back together again.

At the moment Renault put something in the front window to prevent it from falling down. What would that have been?

Sorry I know I should be a detective with all these questions but do I need specific Torx Screwdrivers or something?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Thanks for responding mate.

I was just going to clean the current regulators down and spray with WD40 or an electronic cleaning solution? Would something like this be ok?

Then I was just going to connect it all back together again.

Sorry I know I should be a detective with all these questions but do I need specific Torx Screwdrivers or something?

Depends if cables have snapped or not, or is motor gone, any cheap allen key set will do

theres 3 screws, 1 in the handle and 2 at the bottom of the door, everything else just clips out

wd40 is fine but use grease too

·
Premium Member
430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Cheers mate. Renault looked at themselves a few weeks ago and said it was just the regulator that was gone. That was only the front passenger window though. They have not looked at the rear window yet.

Do I just need a Torx 20 and Torx 30 screwdriver?

I read this on another thread

·
Registered
31 Posts
Cheers mate. Renault looked at themselves a few weeks ago and said it was just the regulator that was gone. That was only the front passenger window though. They have not looked at the rear window yet.

Do I just need a Torx 20 and Torx 30 screwdriver?

I read this on another thread
30 for the door handle
20 for bottom

Renault always say this, plus they also always say a whole new regulator and motor needs to be ordered, yhey might have disconnected the motor, do you hear the sound of a motor turning on either door when you press the switch?

1 - 20 of 39 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.