Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Firstly I hope Im posting in the right section.

Have a foggy film on the outside of the windscreen whenever it gets wet. It has a pattern on it must be where the water has run down in the rain. Ive attached a photo.

Have tried scrubbing it using detergent, toothpaste as an abrasive and vinegar to try and break it up but nothing fetches it off.

I dont use wax to clean.

Are there any suggestions what might have caused it? And what I can use to try and get it off?

Attachments

·
Tartan terrorist in a dress..
22,708 Posts
dont know cause ..but try finding clearalex powder sachets and adding 2 to your washer bottle ..

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks I'll have a look for clearalex. No flue pipes near, theres nothing overhanging like trees etc. Just in the open. Its been there for a long time but nothing I try shifts it. Even straight after washing you can see the water droplets form into that same pattern on the glass, like its got coated with something.

·
Super Moderator
43,291 Posts
It may be that the screen has been treated with RainX or a similar product. Sadly these treatments are not without some problems but meths or surgical spirit may help. You could try using a surgical or alcohol wipe on a corner of the screen to see if it helps

·
Banned
30,789 Posts
If it's covered by your insurance accidently drop a brick on it.

:devil::devil:
iirc it most cases this will cost 60 quid for screen or glass damage excess, check your policy.

If its not too thick a deposit you can actually shift it by rubbing the dry screen very hard with a bit of stockinette which will rub off the wax. (Maybe)

Not much else works effectively to remove the stuff from the glass other than giving the screen a quick spray with Holts MIXRA, which works like magic for a while.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Its never been treated with anything like rainex, cant be that. I will try something like meths

·
22,708 Posts
try as Phil says .. then clearalex should keep it clear ... great stuff but not kept by a lot of places now

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Have ordered clearalex screen wash. Am starting to think it may be being caused by the contents of the washer bottle which i will have to try to flush out. I never let it run low so it must have a combination of different screen washes in it, but would explain why it keeps coming back if that is the cause

·
22,708 Posts
Clearalex is probably cheapest way but Go through the obvious .. Wiper blades .. Is there enough pressure on screen .. Do you use de icer.. If you can flush the system with a hot water soap mix (fairy liquid ) .. Like your brakes and tyres vision is important

·
Super Moderator
43,291 Posts
The best way to flush the screenwash system is to use baby bottle sterilising solution. Drain all the existing screenwash - fill up with steriliser - leave overnight if possible - run the solution through the system - drain and refill.
I have found the screenwash additive sold by Lidl's to be the best so far and claims to give frost protection down to minus 50C when undiluted. Last price I seen was £5-99 for 5 litres and a 50% solutuion is normally sufficient for the UK climate.

Also a good set of wiper blades helps a lot and I have found the Bosch low profile type to be excellent.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts