Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On two Espace 2.1TD 95 and 96 I looked at yesterday both the windscreen rubber surrounds were split right across in the top corner as it starts to descend down the pillar (hope explained well enough). There is as a result quite a gap of between 1/2 and 1" Is this piece of rubber (or rather 2 pieces with a slide over join at the top of the windscreen) cosmetic or funtional? I assume it cuts down wind noise but can I expect water to be pouring in past this outer surround piece?
Where would I get replacement surround pieces ie is it only main stealer?
As you can perhaps tell I am knew to espaces and am trying to educate myself whilst looking at possible s/h buys and avoid possible problems.

Thanks

Mark

·
Premium Member
18,909 Posts
Hello and welcome to the forum i own a 2002 espace and i have no gaps in the rubber window surround i hope this help Donald.

i believe if the glass is replaced on them it can be very hard to replace back in the same position i also hope this helps.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, yes the rubber has been cut or looks more like it has spli right across almost as if the rubber is no longer long enough to go top to bottom. As far as I can tell it is not a new windscreen (milky between laminations on very bottom of drivers side outside viewing area back this up) and windscreen is in the correct place so probably original. I have been looking at these espace windscreen surround on any I can find and so far 2 split and 1 intact.
Am I right to assume if these screens are bonded on then the rubber surround being split would not cause leaking?

Mark

·
Premium Member
18,909 Posts
Thanks, yes the rubber has been cut or looks more like it has spli right across almost as if the rubber is no longer long enough to go top to bottom. As far as I can tell it is not a new windscreen (milky between laminations on very bottom of drivers side outside viewing area back this up) and windscreen is in the correct place so probably original. I have been looking at these espace windscreen surround on any I can find and so far 2 split and 1 intact.
Am I right to assume if these screens are bonded on then the rubber surround being split would not cause leaking?

Mark
Hi Mark yes i would of thought so but not necessarily because the screen is also bounded down as well but as i said it could break its bound causing water increase iam sure someone else will add there thoughts cheers Donald

·
Premium Member
293 Posts
I had my top rubber come out on making enquiries was told i could only get a new rubber if i had a new windscreen (they must be joking) managed to get some black sealer simular to the sealastick we used to be able to get ands resealed the top rubber down with that have had no trouble since
tinker2

1 - 5 of 5 Posts