Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi
downstairs i am using a new Netgear Rangemax Next WNR834B 270Mbps cable router with NTL broadband
upstairs i am trying a Novatech 802.11g 54Mbs USB2 dongle adaptor on an older style PC with USB1 sockets off a Jetway 866SA-R motherboard
reception is intermittent so i am guessing the motherboard could use a usb2 PCI card
is this likely to work faster on a usb1 motherboard or am i barking up the wrong tree

·
Still a Petrolhead but also like diesel
2,311 Posts
Hi Valwillis47, yes the USB2 card should help the throughput, but unlikely to effect the reception ... more actually depends on

a) how old is the motherboard and in particular what version of PCI is it using ... should be PCI 2.1 or higher (only if fitting a PCI NIC or PCI USB2 board.)
b) which OS are you using and is it service packed and all patches applied
c) is the latest version of the firmware and or drivers being used for the NIC/Dongle (are you using manufacturer drivers or Windows drivers)
d) is the latest version of the firmware being used for the router
e) do other NIC's fair any better (borrow one to test if you can)
f) what are the connection/transfer strengths/speed of your NIC when connected
g) firewall/ AV settings .. (on-access scanning for example)
h) physical position of the PC ... have you tried a USB extension with the dongle and placed it 6 feet up the wall (use blu-tack) is the reception any better
i) how far away and how many walls ceilings etc between the router and the PC

info needed on all of this for starters

Sorry for the long list, but without the info your only guessing

Hope it helps :)

·
Super Moderator
43,291 Posts
If the concrete has steel reinforcing it acts as a "Faraday" cage (see Wikipedia for a full explanation) and will most definitely interfere with any radio signals. You could try toying about with the frequency on both pieces of kit - but in the end you may have to hardwire it. Are you aware than unless you have your wireless kit software passworded and protected it is possible for somone out in the street to pick up your signal. I have heard of hard up students cruising areas with their laptops searching for a signal and then surfing the web to their hearts content. Additionally they may be able to gain access to sensitive information on your PC. The computeractive site has info on this very problem. Computer experts prefer to go for a hardwire conection where possible although wirleess conection is improving all the time.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Hi, just to add to the sage advice of madnoel10, wireless is a pain in the ass even when you have it configured correctly. there are so many variables.

I run a network which also uses the wireless signal to run Spectralink phone handsets across two large buildings, one with an enormous copper domed roof! Even when you think it is working fine something pops up to ruin your day.

If you are only connecting two PC's and they pretty much stay where they are then try the power supply route. Network adaptors which plug into your 240v sockets. Most home Pc's stay in the same place year on year so wireless is wasted on them, not the most secure method either. You can't beat a bit of physical security when you're banking on-line.

If you must go the wifi way, also check for other networks using your channel and frequency, ideally stay two steps away from them, check the angle of your antennae too, if it isn't directional then the radio shape is likely to be like a doughnut, hence the difficulty going vertical.

Mmm, mentioned food, lunch time I think....:p

·
Super Moderator
43,291 Posts
Wireless connection

Good sound advice Pyro - haven't heard of a bank or insurance company going down the wireles route yet - too many security issues. Where I live the local police force don't even use the public network system - they have built their own dedicated system and have installed standby generators at key locations. In my opinion if it isn't secure for them it isn't secure enough for the general public. Or am being paranoid.:confused:

·
2,311 Posts
How can you tell if somebody is using your wireless connection.
Coffeemad dad ...
Check the MAC address's in your routers logs, you obviously know which ones are yours ... any others could be intruders ... also include any bluetooth dongles you have attached as they will also have a firewall port assigned samewith iRDA devices that may be attached.

Its good practice to disable your SSID broadcast, and also switch on the highest level of security that is available PSK2 etc, also only allow known MAC addresses to connect (if poss.) ..... RTFM ... sorry :eek:

hope it helps :)

·
Premium Member
265 Posts
Cheers Truck,
I`ll have to try and get it all together tomorrow.
In the meantime I`m looking out the window for any students with open laptops.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
managed to prove the gear i bought was ok by plugging dongle into my laptop, took it upstairs, all ok ,just need to change m/board and processor in spare pc and prob solved
thanks all

·
2,311 Posts
just need to change m/board and processor in spare pc and prob solved
:confused: .... so what was the problem?
I thought it was a wireless reception issue you were having? ... seems a bit excessive to change the motherboard and processor for a solution to that kind of problem .... unless you went to the kwik-fit of pc's that is ... PC World?
:)

·
Super Moderator
43,291 Posts
Yeh What was the prob exactly -would like to know. If it was only a recption prob - replacing all that kit sounds like taking a sledgehammer to crack a walnut. Maybe your old mother board was sucking too hard.:confused: :confused:

·
Premium Member
6,475 Posts
Its good practice to disable your SSID broadcast, and also switch on the highest level of security that is available PSK2 etc, also only allow known MAC addresses to connect (if poss.) ..... RTFM ... sorry :eek:
I'd settle for just enabling WPA with a long and random passphrase. Anything else is pretty much redundant, does nothing to inconvenience a remotely competent hacker, and really just creates more hassle for you if you ever change network cards or want to add another PC to your network.

·
Premium Member
669 Posts
Ok one thing I would like to ask is do you have other wireless devices in your house ie wireless phone etc even microwave etc, If this is the answer, goto your router configs and change the channel (usual default is 6) chnge it to 2 or 11 around there, also if your neighbours have wireless transmitting on the same channel this will also cause intermittent connection. I work for ex-Telewest 1st line broadban support and see this kind of thing a lot. Let us know if this helps at all.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts