Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Engine turns but occasionally will not fire. Usually it will work OK if you try again so it's difficult to check out other symptoms. Today it refused totally. So I left it, came back later and it eventually started. It's a 2003 (old style) 1.4 Scenic.

Immobiliser light went out as normal. Fuel pump sounds to be running OK. Doesn't fire at all, and when it did eventually start it ran smoothly.

Later, queuing in traffic, the idle speed suddenly went up to 2000 rpm and then dropped back slowly to normal.

Any suggestions?

And to add to a bad day the heater fan resistor pack has decided to fail so I've lost all the slower motor speeds. But at least that's repeatable and fixable.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the quick suggestions, guys.

I assume the TDC sensor is the most likely candidate for a total lack of firing. Idle control valve or intake temp sensor problems would be more likely to make it run badly or at least make an attempt to start.

Before I posted I had already decided on TDC as a prime candidate. Did I see in another posting that a bad TDC signal will also stop the rev counter from working (whereas the other problems should show the revs when the cranking speed gets high enough)?

Time to remove it and see whether it needs cleaning or replacing.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts