Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My car is a Renault ménage 1.9tdi and the inner edges of the tyres keep wearing badly ive had the tracking done 3 times the bottom ball joints replaced and the tie rod ends can any one tell me if there could be something else causing the problems thank you.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I'm guessing it's just the fronts that are a problem. It may be worth getting a full geometry check in case the camber is wrong. If you have too much negative camber then the tyres will just be running on the inside edges.
Also worth checking top mounts for wear as this could cuase a different dynamic track and camber to the measured static settings. Is there any play in the steering rack?
I guess you've checked basic things like tyre pressures?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I’ve had the caster and camber checked when the tracking was done it feels as if it is pulling to the left as I drive and at times it feels as if the steering is wobbly not all the time some one told me it could be the suspension bushes ????

·
Registered
10 Posts
If the steering is feeling 'wobbly' and you have had the lower ball joints and tie rod ends changed then it is definately one of three things; top mounts, lower arm bushes or steering rack. I guess the most likely is the bushes (and probably the cheapest!). If you grab the wheel and try rocking it in both the vertical and horizontal plane can you detect any movement? This might point at where the wear is and what needs replacing.
The more i think about it though, the more i would guess at lower arm bushes allowing the wheels to toe out and hence cause wear on the inner edges and also if it is a worn bush on the left, for the car to pull to the left. My first port of call would probably therefore be the left lower arm... unless you can feel anything different by moving the wheel.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts