Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
driving straight gets louder as the gears change but turning at slow or high speeds noise seems to go.......any ideas ..i was thinking wheel bearing or tyres .........any ideas or cost ?

·
Registered
88 Posts
if it was wheekl bearings then i think the noise would go by road speed not enginge rpm .could be tyres could ,be g box best get it checked .bearings cost about 30 quid from factors but are a press fit. you can do it yourself but need a fare amount of faith and a big vice
good luck
Ev

·
Registered
88 Posts
WOOSH . sorry mate that is the sound of an auto box box flying over my head.
im sure someone will help though
AGAIN GOOD LUCK although auto boxes are a bit of a speciality
Ev.
ps have you checked the road wheel / stub axil for play " 12/6 oclock and 3/9oclock>
EV

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
front wheels have play in them...could i just tweak up the stub nut?..i know it is just temporary but i may get a bit out of it...wat u think?

·
Let's be carefull out there
19,360 Posts
Nah, tried that does not work. The bearings are in pressed in sealed units sor they have to be replaced. ~Did you see the how to in the Clio Articles, I got a swivel hub from a breakers and swapped it over, it's always a risk on how good the bearing is but the car is in constant use plus cost £15 with drive shaft and shock absorber. That way I have gained a spare hub which I could get a new bearing pressed into in my own time.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
replaced front tyres today and noise remains ..okay if i am turning no sound ..must be a wheel bearing but had them checked and they seem okay..any thoughts

·
Premium Member
43,291 Posts
Whining sound

Have you had the levels checked in the gearbox - the fact you say the noise is worse when free-wheeling downhill could be the diff is low on lubrication. If level is low it could lead to expensive gearbox repairs. I have heard wheel bearings whine when there is little or no play or movement in them. Check the gearbox levels first as this would be comparatively cheap to do and may save in the long run.:)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts