Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi all

have just bought a grand scenic 1.6vvt 2004 with 35000 miles...just had service. the manufacturers warranty expired 3 days ago.

I have the option of extending the warranty with renault for £800 for 2 years.

Is it worth it? In terms of people's experiences with grand scenics of this age and mileage?

thanks

·
Premium Member
14,145 Posts
Hi,

An extended warranty to my mind is essential with your Renault as all modern cars are very expensive to repair.

wether I would go for Renaults option at £800 I'm not sure there are cheaper options in the market place, You really need to have extensive cover it's important to study any warranty offered to see what it excludes.

Have a search of the Forums as there is quite a bit of info on this subject.

Regards

Ottoman

·
Premium Member
334 Posts
£800 sounds a bit steep to me, think i paid around £400 for 2 years with a warranty company. Does the Renault one cover you for everything, i think they would be get out clauses, im sure others will agree as Renault will do anything to get themselves out of a sticky spot!

·
Premium Member
6,475 Posts
If it's the Renault Harmony warranty, then it's one of the best ones you can get on paper. It has very few exclusions, and claims to do its best to offer the same level of cover as the factory warranty. Compared with the better after-market ones, it wasn't really that expensive. Probably an extra 50 quid or so over the two years. Then again, the Clio warranty is only 500 quid for the extra two years. Maybe there's more money to be saved by going elsewhere on the Scenic.

Lots of after-market warranties don't cover 'wear and tear', which is a clause that they can apply to pretty much anything they like. A lot don't cover things like switchgear and wiring looms which, bearing in mind Renault's track record in these areas, are some of the things I'd really want covering. I want a warranty that'll comprehensively insure just about anything expensive that's likely to go wrong. What's the point in paying the money if you're still left with the possibility of huge bills at the end of it?

In theory, the Harmony warranty must be purchased before the factory one expires. Even leaving it over by one day is supposed to void your eligibility. Ours overran by a few days, and we asked our dealer very nicely - they said they could do it as long as the payment was made before the car was three years and one week old. We sorted that out and now have the Harmony warranty on the Clio. Don't take too long in making your mind up, as the offer may well have expired :(

·
Premium Member
14,145 Posts
It's a Scenic II Horatio .. Yes I would agree with Horatio here some of the electrics are hugely expensive to repair.

I think it gives a goos indication of the repair costs by the level of premium for cover.

But still seems a lot of money

Regards

Ottoman

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
well

mine expired on saturday....but before i bought it i asked renault and they said i could take the warranty any time so long as the car isnt more than 5 years old.....now if thats wrong i will blow my gasket!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts