1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
621 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think the oil has been changed on the normal service intervals however Ive just changed it early and will be doing from now on.

I cant find any evidence the EGR has been cleaned

·
Premium Member
6,475 Posts
Let's not kid ourselves. To boost performance, the engine must work harder. Exhaust gas temperatures will be higher, as will the mechanical stresses on the various components. If there's something lurking there and teetering on the brink of going wrong, then I suppose there's the possibility that a mod like this will push it over the edge.

Personally, I'd have no qualms about using it on a car with 130K on the clock - I'd just try to be sensible and only use foot to the floor acceleration when I really needed it. If you don't hoof the car around all of the time and only use the extra power every now and again, you won't significantly lower the lifespan of the engine.

·
Premium Member
154 Posts
If your car is healthy then there's no reason not to use a tuning box; I think this style is the older analogue type box which are slower than the newer digital boxes (£300+ though) and won't stress your engine as much as the digi one would. Your turbo isn't going to suffer as a result of fitting this as you're not increasing the boost pressure, you're adjusting the fuelling, the extra power comes from that not your turbo. (If you then fitted a boost valve between the turbo and wastegate then that's a different matter and you'll need a gauge to keep the boost at safe levels - will get you another 5-10BHP though).

Change the oil more regularly than normal, every 7 or 8k for fully synthetic should keep everything happy. If you boot it everywhere I'd be inclined to replace your cambelt a bit earlier, perhaps 10k earlier. Be prepared for clutch slippage at high revs, if it slips then either ease off on the gas or reduce the setting on the tuning box (you'll lose low end torque as well though doing this) - if it slips a lot then consider replacing the clutch or even getting it uprated to kevlar if you like (a bit ott though with the analogue box) perhaps consider if you do more mods.

A nice compliment to this is a K&N Induction filter, get more air quicker and make the most of all the new low end gains, use less fuel on mixed driving with fewer gear changes, you'll be using 3rd and 4th a lot more with the extra torque whereas you'd be used to using 2nd and 3rd etc.

It's common sense - used wisely it can only help, abuse it and you're obviously going to do some damage eventually - everything in moderation. :)

MPG gains depend on driving style, if you don't boot it then you could get 5pmg or a lot more in some cases, some see no improvement - it depends how you use it.

That particular box is Ok, if you have the money then go for Dragon Tuning, them's the dog's danglies!

·
Premium Member
154 Posts
Analogue - claims are realistic and not exaggerated, look for a second-hand one if you're unsure, it may look older but it'll do the exact same job. £99 is reasonable - although I think one of the board members is offering digital boxes for £150 - JamesDHannah? It's in another post somewhere. - Diesel oil is black after about 10 minutes!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts