Independent Renault Forums banner

Would you buy another Renault

• Total voters
1081 - 1100 of 1103 Posts

·
Premium Member
189 Posts
My first Laguna I was killing me few times finally broke the timing giving the engine on my hands.

Megane II had gearbox issue which could not be solved. ( I still cannot complain, I did 40k kilometers in 2 years)

I said I would not buy Renault again but I see that I am here so... I think the attractive prices of these lads are the main thing that pulls me along with the low consumption of DCIs.

I never owned a brand new car so that next time, I want to purchase a brand new Renault and see how it goes :)

I am buying a house 30-40 km away from the city center so I need the diesel now, could not persuade the wife to change for diesel though, she likes her Civic :grin2:

·
Super Moderator Technical Supremo Platinum Member
22,745 Posts
......I never owned a brand new car so that next time, I want to purchase a brand new Renault and see how it goes :) ......
Your choice. But think on this.
Depreciation. The moment you drive a new car out of a garage, you drop 20-30% of the value.
A three year old that has been looked after is often not overly worn but loads cheaper.

·
Premium Member
189 Posts
Depreciation. The moment you drive a new car out of a garage, you drop 20-30% of the value.
A three year old that has been looked after is often not overly worn but loads cheaper.
Forgot to say that, you are right. Especially in Poland, it can lose more than 20/30 percent. My concern about buying a used car is the reliability. You have no idea about how the previous owner used the car however looking at the prices, that is the best option for now.

·
Premium Member
237 Posts
I have had so many crappy second hand cars in the past, that now being able to buy new is a joyous treat, and depreciation be damned!!

I keep a (new) car for about 5 or 6 years, with virtually no costs other than minor servicing and, eventually, tyres and brake pads, so I recon that financially it works out OK. And yes, the last 4 have been Renaults - all 1.2 petrol Clios, all great!!

Needless to say, I voted yes in this poll...….. :wink2:

·
Premium Member
189 Posts
I have had so many crappy second hand cars in the past, that now being able to buy new is a joyous treat, and depreciation be damned!!

I keep a (new) car for about 5 or 6 years, with virtually no costs other than minor servicing and, eventually, tyres and brake pads, so I recon that financially it works out OK. And yes, the last 4 have been Renaults - all 1.2 petrol Clios, all great!!

Needless to say, I voted yes in this poll...….. :wink2:
liked the idea :)

·
Technical Supremo, Platinum Member
6,433 Posts
i have kept away from renault must be 5 years now but that does not mean i wont get one in the future as the right deal may just come along :grin2:

·
Super Moderator
13,569 Posts
i have kept away from renault must be 5 years now but that does not mean i wont get one in the future as the right deal may just come along :grin2:
I remember THAT Kangoo :frown2:

·
Tartan terrorist in a dress..
22,708 Posts
As said depreciation is a killer ...just bought an X-Trail 1.6 DCi Tekna ...New £33000 I bought one year old 4000miles for £20000 so one year = about £13000 :surprise:

·
Premium Member
125 Posts
Not based upon my experience with my 3.0dci Espace.

Fantastic car when running but if anything goes wrong there is no space to work. Not designed for ease of fixing.

Have subsequently gone Ford 2.0dci CMAX as a standby for when the Espace breaks down, but looking at the engine bay of the 2.0dci CMAX I think it may actually be worse :frown2:

Lets hope the Ford doesn't have plethora of expensive problems I've encountered on the Espace.

·
Registered
2 Posts
First off, love driving the megane 1.9 DCI, worst thing invented was the egr valve which has dropped me twice. Car has 170000km, gets very expensive synthetic oil because of turbo. Timing belt replacement is a separate item so if the belt replacement falls on a service interval, I get double the bill.
Major issue is the level of mechanics in SA. They do not know or understand the cars. The customer pays for unnecessary expensive parts. Never had a car that costs so much to keep on the road.
Renaults so called leather seats crack around 40000km. Who designed the front light bulb replacement.....fire him or her.
The electric windows work until they stop.
Biggest problem are the cost of spares, if these were affordable more Renaults would be on the roads.

·
Premium Member
237 Posts
I have voted before too - 11 Renaults so far, and having just reminisced about the Renault 4 engine bay and gearchange on another post, I have realised...…. I'd love to have an old R4 in the garage!!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
237 Posts
Not if Renault merge with Fiat Chrysler, as I've read in the news recently, I've had my fingers burned once too often with Fiats!!

Renault, please, don't do it!!!

·
Premium Member
1,554 Posts

·
Premium Member
237 Posts
I had a Fiat 131S many years ago - same experience, it was so fast, but man, the rust!!

My most recent Fiat, a 2008 Punto bought new, still had those Italian electrical gremlins built in..... fixed it and sold it!!

·
Super Moderator
13,569 Posts
FIAT = Fix It Again Tomorrow :laugh:

1081 - 1100 of 1103 Posts