Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

i have just changed the air filter/antifreeze on my recently purchased Scenic...
coolant looked as if it hadnt been changed for ages!!!
also bought a new thermostat from EuroCarparts....

Air filter changed, no probs...
Changed the stat then probs kicked in...
Noticed that it appeared small than the one i took out, however when all was re-fitted everything looked fine.
Then i found the stat housing was leaking....
took out the new stat and then measured it with the old one..
old stat measured 5cm diameter
new stat was 4.6cm diameter..

Had to re-fit old stat for now.... but just so fellow Scenic members are aware, here is the part number from EuroCarparts to avoid !!
209 74 5081

Shall be returning item tomorrow and will be contacting customer services...
This is 2nd time i have had stuff from them thats is incorrect.
Last time was a wrong window mechanism for drivers window. They ordered it in special, then had to re-order it agin from Wembley, (i'm in Swindon)...
It was still wrong...!!!

Finally found a place in Stoke via web, rang them, they double checked the fittings for me whilst on the fone and hey preston i got the right part and cheaper than Europart too !!

Rgds

Paul

·
Premium Member
43,291 Posts
There are two different types of thermostats fitted so whilst the one you got didn't fit your engine it may fit another.

Also it not unusual for after-market thermostats to have different temperature ranges yet they look identical. Did you notice if your old one had the temperature marked on it whilst it was out?

·
Premium Member
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
didnt notice the range on it... however, just checked the new one its a 89 deg c setting version, but it dont fit as its too small...

odd thing is, i checked on website and even guy in Europart said it was right item!!!! yet its 3.5mm too small...hence why it leaked !!

·
Premium Member
43,291 Posts
In my experience I have found thermostats can vary quite a bit and on some models the thermostat can't be changed on its own - you have to fit a complete thermostat housing. This problem just doesn't apply to Renaults I'm afraid.

I have learned from bitter experience to always take a sample with me when going for after-market replacement stats.:)

·
Premium Member
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
gone back to EuroCarparts today and queried said stat with them...
even they agreed it was odd... asked if they could check what stat was required for my old Megane (same engine K4M) suspected it be same stat... it was...!! so even that was fruitless....

However, very helpful chap went away and came back with a different part off shelf, but same part number !! amazingly this stat is bigger diameter !!
Time will tell when i change it again !!

Scenic in garage tomorrow to sort out jumping gearstick and clutch adjustment...

Just need to sort me clock out !!! still baffled by it !!
#

·
Registered
96 Posts
Let me know which thermostat you finally got as im in need of replacing mine. Saw the same one as yourself on ecp and even chatted to the online rep who was close to useless. In my haynes guide it says very little about model of thermostat only wax,89c,101c 7.5mm valve lift thats all. What was/ is the model number of the original one you have as my local spares dealer wanted £13.00 for a thermostat almost double lol but in stock and possibly the right one

Cheers

·
Premium Member
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi there highlander317...

part number from ECP is 209 74 5081...

i've measured it with calipers and it appears just on 5cm diameter...
not changed it yet as car in garage having gearbox stabiliser mount sorted !!

will advise when changed...

ECP only show this part number for the K4M engine, my megane that i sold had same engine...so suspect i'd have had same problem if that one needed changing...
disagree with a comment about chanhing the whole housing and stat if only the stat has failed !!!

rgds

·
Premium Member
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
very true... but that is standard when changing stat to change the sealing ring too.
most stats come with a new sealing ring !!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts