Independent Renault Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Folks

I'm a newbie to the forum but welcome all ideas and recommendations from existing forum members.

I'm a South African and recently purchased a Renault Clio 3 2007 petrol 1.6l model. The vehicle was running well however I decided to clean the MAF sensor which I did so carefully. I then bought a bottle of Wynns Injector Cleaner and poured the contents into a full tank as per the instructions. Straight after that I lost power, erratic idling, vehicle is surging on the highway and my petrol consumption has gone through the roof.

I have no clue what do to now can anyone give me some advice, thanks in advance.

·
Premium Member
Captur 2017 1.5DCi EDC
4,037 Posts
Sounds like the problems are more likely related to the MAF sensor than the injector cleaner. Could you have damaged it, or maybe an air leak on reassembly?

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
HI
Sorry to hear of these problems. We have the same engine (but auto transmission).
I'd agree with twodogs above. Symptoms sound like related to engine management.
When you say MAF sensor, do you mean the one just under the yellow oil dipstick cap? (see photo).
Check it's plugged back in firmly.
:(

Sadly you have broken two important rules with Renaults! :confused:

Rule 1: If it ain't broke, don't fix it.
Rule 2: If you have to fix it, do just one thing at a time; then you know what's caused the next problem!

Tire Wheel Hood Light Product

·
Super Moderator Technical Supremo Platinum Member
24,510 Posts
Sadly you have broken two important rules with Renaults! :confused:
Not only Renaults....any car and TBH, worth remembering for many things through life.

I agree more likely to be MAF...as long as you did follow the instructions on the Wynns and assuming the genuine article.
MAFs can be delicate, cleaning often kills them.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Not only Renaults....any car and TBH, worth remembering for many things through life.

I agree more likely to be MAF...as long as you did follow the instructions on the Wynns and assuming the genuine article.
MAFs can be delicate, cleaning often kills them.
Hi Folks
The sensor I removed and cleaned is not the one I removed and cleaned as in the pic, it's the sensor located towards the rear of the engine.

·
Premium Member
Captur 2017 1.5DCi EDC
4,037 Posts
My boss used to have a sign on his desk
"If it ain't broke, keep fixing it until it is"

Reactions: LvR

·
Premium Member
Clio Mk IV 1.5 dCi MediaNav S/S 2013
3,803 Posts
Let’s hope that the missing grommet hasn’t found it’s way into the inlet manifold.

Wallace would be most upset. 😀

Reactions: LvR

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
If on the rear of the intake on the K4M its the MAP sensor and not the MAF.

Chances are good the rubber grommet is now missing resulting in intake air leaks
It's the one on the intake manifold, it has two rubber grommets, one black and one green, they both still there but someone on Google said that only the green grommet must be pushed in and not both.

·
Technical Supremo.
Scenic II, 2004, K4MW761, DPO
7,237 Posts
It's the one on the intake manifold, it has two rubber grommets, one black and one green, they both still there but someone on Google said that only the green grommet must be pushed in and not both.
I cannot understand what you are saying ............

This is what the IAT sensor looks like - do not know what the green and black grommet comment is all about on the IAT - this sensor must be pushed in flush with the manifold

This is what the MAP sensor looks like - yes there is a green and black o-ring on THAT sensor but they both need to be located properly in the manifold - iow push it in flush with the manifold

1 - 18 of 18 Posts