Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
375 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi (again)

When going over bumps / cambers in the road etc at low speeds (30mph and below) there's a noise coming from the rear like a sort of bending/warping kind of noise?! Doesn't sound serious, just like a piece of trim moving as the car goes over gradual bumps or changes in camber on the road...

I've checked and secured the spare wheel and all bits in the boot storage area, and the rear seats seem very secure...could it be the tailgate? Is there a way of tightening the hinges and/or struts?

Just trying to find it via process of elimination as usual... :(

Car is Megane II Sport Tourer with panroof

Thanks,
Andy

O

·
0 Posts
Sit in the back while the car is going along and listen for where it's coming from.
Better to get someone else to do the driving, bit difficult when you're sat in the boot.:d

·
Premium Member
375 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sit in the back while the car is going along and listen for where it's coming from.
Better to get someone else to do the driving, bit difficult when you're sat in the boot.:d
I could invent some sort of system using poles and string to drive from the back like Jeremy Clarkson did with the Vauxhall Signum!

Or I could just take your advice and trust the girlfriend to drive...

Thanks bud - I guess it's the only wayh of finding out :)

Andy

O

·
0 Posts
It's the only way I managed to trace a knocking noise from the back of my old Scenic. It was the rear shocker, but couldn't tell without getting my ear to the boot floor and wheel arch.:d

·
Premium Member
375 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Cool :) I find that with pretty much all the cars I've had, I'm always trying to fix something or make something lol....

I guess it's my fault for loving my car!

·
Premium Member
375 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi again,

I've found the source of the noise :)

I just spent 10mins banging about and testing the movement in some of the interior trim panels around the boot area, and was ready to give up.

I shut the boot, but thought I hadn't closed it properly so I pulled on the handle to check. The exact same creaking noise came from the boot catch... :d

So I'm going to re-grease the catch/mechanism to see if that cures it...
I don't think there's anything wrong with it as it operates fine and keeps the boot firmly shut.

I have some spray grease which I used for the sunroof runners but it seems a bit too watery...I'll try and get hold of some proper stuff I'm sure my Dad has some...

Thanks for the advice,
Andy

O

·
0 Posts
Rattles and creaks drive me crazy, as they only happen when you're driving and even then, only in certain circumstances.

In all the cars I've owned, I've never had such noises like in the last two. Both Renaults of course. Even my 11 year old Skoda is as tight as a drum.

·
Premium Member
375 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
True, my Peugeot 207 never had any squeaks or rattles - dashboard was made of much better quality materials.

I greased up the boot catch last night with some really thick silicone grease. The noise has buggered off :)

So I'm a happy chappy....

Also used the grease to re-condition the sunroof seal which seems to have reduced the wind noise...not completely disappeared yet but certainly less annoying.

Cheers,
Andy

1 - 8 of 8 Posts