Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had some troubles with my 1999 Espace 3.0 24V which required it to be towed, since having it back I have had problems with the automatic gearbox in that sometimes it clunks into gear and sometimes the gearbox will start to slip, the car was towed on all four wheels for approx 160 miles without the engine running, the gearbox was new and had no problems previous to this episode, can anyone throw some light on what the problem could be?

·
Premium Member
413 Posts
When I broke down a few months ago I called the AA out, the car had to be towed, I said to the AA chap are you going to raise the front wheels with it being an auto,
he said it was ok to tow it a maximum of 30 miles at a speed of no more than 25 mph, only had to go 6 miles so this was ok.
160 miles is quite a distance to be towed, it should have been put on a trailer or low loader.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi Wayne. I believe autos should not be towed for long distances on all four wheels. I imagine the towing has done something to the box. Was it a breakdown service that towed you as they should have known this.
Chris,
Yes this was supossed to be a reputable breakdown company, the gearbox now does funny things such as slips and judders when changing from first to second gear, the Renault garage has said that there are no dealer servicable parts and has recommended a new box cost in excess of £3600

1 - 5 of 5 Posts