Independent Renault Forums banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm hoping others may have suffered with our heard of this problem and will be able to advise.

I've owned a 22kWh Zoe, with leased battery, for 4 years (15 plate, so 6 years old). Current mileage is 27,500 miles. In the whole time I have had it, the maximum mileage on a full charge was 77 miles, which has gradually decreased. Last winter, that dropped to 33-34 miles. Further, when charging it hits 99% but keeps draining my home supply for a further 30-90 minutes.

Two months ago, I paid for the computer update 31093 that was meant to be the solution to both problems. That delivered 121 miles on the clock but the actual mileage remained 70 miles for a full charge, and the reading on the clock is now back to 70ish.

Throughout the time I've owned it, I've requested diagnostic checks, with one earlier this week showing 98% capacity. To my non-technical mind, this is clearly nonsense, because the expected range is 120 miles, as my brother-in-law, with an identical model, is still achieving. Age cannot be cited as the reason, as this under-performance has been present and deteriorated only slightly since the battery was 2-years old. Therefore, I assume there to have been a manufacturing fault or something similar, creating a false reading point on the battery.

I am currently trying to get Renault Finance to either replace the battery or terminate my lease agreement so I can more easily sell or part-ex the vehicle, but they keep fobbing me off with the diagnostic result.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to why the diagnostic test is delivering the false 98% result? Alternatively, can anyone connect me with people who have suffered similar problems?

Many thanks,

Graham.

·
Technical Supremo.
Scenic II, 2004, K4MW761, DPO
6,230 Posts
I cannot, unfortunately, suggest the correct way to tackle this, but since you mention your brother owning the same vehicle and he is achieving different results, how about you guys swap vehicles for say a 2 week period and see how much your typical driving styles and actual roads influence the vehicles?

This is bound to be a huge can of worms in the future and we are only now starting to gain real-world experiences with these animals.

·
Technical Supremo, Platinum Member
4,265 Posts
my experiences small as it is with this type of cell, like all batteries if one cell is only 90% as good as the 0thers it will make the others work harder to compensate , as above a good idea to swap cars for a day/week . its about time the dash on electric cars, could tell you in a menu the condition of each cell that way you would know when its all going pear shaped , then be able to replace the faulty cell before it causes damage to the others

·
Fiat Panda Multijet 1300 Diesel
5,298 Posts
I again don't know a lot about this but the Zoe uses top balancing, this means when the
battery is 80/90 % charged on a slow charge, it does not happen on fast charge, it does
cell balancing and try's to bring up all the cells to the same level which is likely what's going
on when you say it keeps drawing current for some time after you think it should, so if you
are in the habit of turning it off before it turns it's self off try leaving it till it does and see if
things improve.

·
4,265 Posts
as above the bms battery cell management on my electric bikes monitor each cell as it charges , if one goes above the 4.2v while others are still below that it will carry on charging but discharge and excess voltage in x cell so it does not exceed the 4.2v . also the last part of the charge is tiny compared to the main charge this is to balance each cell . so as above its possible your charger is trying to balance the whole battery pack , cars have a much higher voltage and sophisticated system , if you look on youtube you will see a diagnostic and single cell replacement that gives the car better performance and distance all due to one cell , look at it as having a faulty spark plug once replaced the performance comes back . this video can give you an idea what a faulty cell can do and the diagnostics used to find the fault , the first thing renault would have done , you could at your own cost get it diagnosed at an independent garage

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for all the feedback! The car swap is an interesting idea, but the mileage displayed by the computer after a full charge is reasonably accurate once I begin driving, so my driving style is meeting the car's expectations. I will broach the idea of a failed cell with Renault Finance. I have actually been leaving it to charge fully each time over the last six weeks, rather than disconnecting early as I had been doing, and that has added £100 to my electricity bill compared to the previous month!

·
5,298 Posts
£100 added on top of normal, that sounds awful expensive,

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
That's my thought! There were a couple of days away and consequently less car usage, but August's bill was £75 & September's £176. I can't think of anything else that would have had that impact and the car was often left connected overnight. Typical weekly car usage is around 80 miles...

·
Premium Member
Clio Mk IV 1.5 dCi MediaNav S/S 2013
3,141 Posts
£100 extra a month. Jeez, I will stick with my 1.5 dCI thanks.

·
5,298 Posts
This year my miles are way down but my little oiler as done 2500 miles and had £225 of diesel
so about 70 miles a week this is from Jan the first, I quite fancy a lecky car but but cant see me changing soon.

·
4,265 Posts
renault like others will keep testing if your paying for the diagnostics , problem is if you have no idea what the problem is all you can do is rely on the pros , but at £100 extra something aint right

·
4,265 Posts
should add it will be interesting to know the out come of this problem ,i dont think it will be a one off so could benefit others in the future

·
Technical Supremo.
6,230 Posts
I have not had a Zoe to do battle with myself, but if it was my problem to solve I would try to get a Renault CLIP or some proper Renault speaking scanner involved in order to generate detailed reports - I expect that at least some of the battery testing/management methods would be included in especially CLIP ................. and then post detailed results here for the community to learn from and respond to.

Just like with current ICE propulsion technology, there will be a period where some of the early adopters will pay the bulk of the school fees for the screwups the industry and Renault agents are guaranteed to be making before the lies and scams become common knowledge.

From

it would seem that my Autel scanners all support the detail info I am after so I cannot wait to get my hands on one of these

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
That's really interesting. I'm with Ecotricity so it looks like I can go cheaper and I hadn't thought about the off-peak aspect. Cheers!

·
Technical Supremo.
6,230 Posts
Two months ago, I paid for the computer update 31093 that was meant to be the solution to both problems. That delivered 121 miles on the clock but the actual mileage remained 70 miles for a full charge, and the reading on the clock is now back to 70ish.

Throughout the time I've owned it, I've requested diagnostic checks, with one earlier this week showing 98% capacity.
Graham - if you watch that last Youtube video I posted you can see all the technical info available from the BMS.

I would go back to the guys that did the reprogram and battery testing and insist on being furnished a printout of THAT complete list of testing parameters and also a page showing the current BMS software version.

CLIP (that Renault use) can and do supply all that info. (Spoke to a friend also involved in this mess and he confirms he got that info off Renault and promptly proceeded to threaten legal action if its not put right - result - battery replacement in his case and problem solved)

·
4,265 Posts
lvr you got me thinking , its time to do the free update on the launch crp and see if it covers anything on electric cars

1 - 20 of 35 Posts