Independent Renault Forums banner

21 - 40 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
I am retired now but worked in the electronically controlled mechanical industry, and many occasional faults that kept recurring intermittently were often down to a bad connector as over time the pins would oxidise and cause a poor connection often just removing and replacing the connector would clean the terminals and cure the fault and if not a clean with switch cleaner would do the job the problem with most engineers is that they think the diagnostic computer is god and act accordingly and in the motor trade more money charged to us the customer. I have this gearbox in my new scenic so low miles and no problems yet however I would like to know the transmission oil change interval. hope this helps

·
Registered
2 Posts
I am retired now but worked in the electronically controlled mechanical industry, and many occasional faults that kept recurring intermittently were often down to a bad connector as over time the pins would oxidise and cause a poor connection often just removing and replacing the connector would clean the terminals and cure the fault and if not a clean with switch cleaner would do the job the problem
You need to use your "," and "." keys of the keyboard MORE unless they are retired too!

Which connectors should be checked? What is your suggestion?

·
Administrator
13,964 Posts
You need to use your "," and "." keys of the keyboard MORE unless they are retired too!

Which connectors should be checked? What is your suggestion?
As a new member and with your first post you would do well to not be so rude to other members. Especially if you actually want meaningful / useful replies.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi, I also have a Grand Scenic from 2011. Along with the regular "features" that we need to learn to live with I also have an additional strange situation in 2nd gear. In traffic passing from 1st to 2nd or reducing from 3th gear the car shakes for a couple of seconds like if it had selected a higher gear for the speed. The gearbox electronics was already flashed by Renault allegedly with the latest available firmware but the problem remains.
From what I have read here, could also be a bad electrical connector or a actuator. Anyone had a similar experience with this gear box?

·
Premium Member
Captur 2017 1.5DCi EDC
3,650 Posts
seems to be a quirk with this particular box. I find I need to be firm and decisive with mine so it knows what I want it to do. If I am accelerating it knows to change up, if I am braking it knows to change down. When pottering about, or slowly descending a slope it can get confused, starting to change down, then changing its mind with the resulting jerk. The problem is, if you are in second and the car changes down to first, it is then impossible to get to third without going back through second gear. What I find it doesn't like is uphill over speedbumps at slow speed.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi! The same problem is slowly making me go nuts... Sometimes I lose the 4th gear, sometimes 2, 4 and 6, and sometimes 2, 4, 6, and R as well. I tried to figure out in which situations does the message appear, but it's totally random and I cannot reproduce the problem. It usually happens maximum once a day and a restart always helps.

I've been 3 times at the local dealer with the car, they did a software update and a re-calibration. It usually behaves for a week after that and then the error message appears daily again. I had to replace the battery during which the car was disconnected for 2-3 minutes and again, it was fine for a week... The dealer says that if the software update didn't help, it might be the computer, which costs ~3000 EUR.

My question would be where do I find the connectors and the computer? Are they located under the central console cover? I'd try to clean the connectors myself before going back to the dealer. Many thanks in advance!

Laszlo

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hie, everyone. Sorry if I don't make my ideas clear (English is not my strength) but I want you to help and advise me in my situation. I have renault megane, 1.5 dci with edc gearbox. It has 150 thousand km. It is a second hand car. I also have this issue with the loss of reverse, 2, 4, and 6 gears. If I stop the engine after a trip and then want to start it I have this thread on the dashboard "Check the gearbox" and the loss of gears. As I observed I can avoid this warning if I press the clutch pedal before installing the key into the keyhole. If I do it in a reverse chronology (insert the key and then press the clutch pedal) then I have this warning and loss of gears. If I start the engine (without pressing the clutch pedal) and have this issue, I shift the gears, stop the engine, get out the key and then I press the clutch pedal, insert the key and it says "Ok". Unfortunately there no logs registered in the computer. At Renault service they told me that probably it is the computer. What are your suggestions? Where should I look?

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have almost the same issue. I have Renault Megane 2013, 1.5 dci with edc. I am the second owner. The car has 153 thousand km.
If after a trip I start the car in the following way (insert the key and start the engine) the thread appears on the dashboard “Check Gearbox” and then the reverse, 2, 4, and 6 gears are lost. But if I start the engine in this way (firstly press the clutch pedal and only then insert the key) then everything is “Ok”. If sometimes I forget to press the clutch first and I have this message “Check Gearbox” I shift from P to D and then stop the engine, get the key out of the keyhole. After that I press the clutch, insert the key and again everything is “Ok”. At Renault service they told that there are no logs in the memory. They tried to switch places of something there but it did not work (I can’t tell what exactly they did). They suggest that I replace edc ecu (computer). Can you advise me where to look for?

·
Technical Supremo, Platinum Member
3,829 Posts
I have almost the same issue. I have Renault Megane 2013, 1.5 dci with edc. I am the second owner. The car has 153 thousand km.

If after a trip I start the car in the following way (insert the key and start the engine) the thread appears on the dashboard “Check Gearbox” and then the reverse, 2, 4, and 6 gears are lost. But if I start the engine in this way (firstly press the clutch pedal and only then insert the key) then everything is “Ok”. If sometimes I forget to press the clutch first and I have this message “Check Gearbox” I shift from P to D and then stop the engine, get the key out of the keyhole. After that I press the clutch, insert the key and again everything is “Ok”. At Renault service they told that there are no logs in the memory. They tried to switch places of something there but it did not work (I can’t tell what exactly they did). They suggest that I replace edc ecu (computer). Can you advise me where to look for?

For starters buddy an EDC doesn't have a clutch, are you referring to the brake pedal?
If you're finding the car does strange things if it's pressed you might want to check the inhibitor switch on the brake pedal that tells the vehicle to start and also when to change down during braking.
Also ensure your battery is of a good standard and well charged. Without a fully charged battery these cars are prone to throwing many erroneous errors up on the screen.
Always start your car in park, with your foot firmly o the brake until the engine is running, if not it'll either tell you to select park or throw up a check gearbox fault.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Thanx Davegayle for your advice. Sorry for the miss use of some terms. But the interesting thing is that it only happens after some trips. If I start the engine in the morning it doesn't matter either I press the breaks first or insert the key. I will try to check everything that you have advised and will write about the result. Thanx again.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello.
Greetings from Lithuania! I have simillar problem wiht my Grand Scenic 1.5 dci In dipslay appears check gearbox and gearbox lossing 1;3;5 shifts...Six months ago this message appeared only one in the month,now two times in week. When i switch off and then switch on the car than everything is ok for a while.. Maybe someone can add picture where is gearbox connection cable? I will try to disconect and reconnect it. Maybe it will help.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi, I am in East London. I have a Megane coupe 2010 edc 1.5D. The car has the check auto gearbox message.it comes on and off daily. The gears were jumping from 2 to 4 to 6 on high revs. I was told by an auto technician that I need a new clutch. Cost me over £1000 for the dual clutch. It has been fitted but now needs programming. The auto tech and even Renault have been unable to programme it as it is not completing. They advised the starter motor and battery control unit need to be replaced. Garage have had the car since November. Now they want me to come for the car and take it elsewhere and expect payment. Any ideas to possible fault. Have been reading the forums and seen issues relating to solenoids and ecu maybe needs reprogramming too.any help much appreciated as I am racking up bills with no joy

·
Super fantastic Mod Technical Supremo Nice Guy
37,402 Posts
Did they say why it cannot be programmed ..

·
Super fantastic Mod Technical Supremo Nice Guy
37,402 Posts
HUH.
So now the car is a non runner, is that what you mean..

·
Registered
24 Posts
So far it has turned out to be a software issue: You stop, switch of the car, and you restart: Presto, no more problem. Only happens once a year or every two years. I can live with that....

·
Registered
1 Posts
One more thing to add to this thread. The above has happened to me about 4/5 times in the two years I've owned my second hand Renault 1.5 tdi, and disappears. No fault remembered by computer. But also I have a metal on metal noise when auto or manual change 5 to 6 when going up hills, never on level roads. 2 and a half to 3000 revs. Mechanics "can't hear it". Anyone else have this prob? I'm going to flog it as soon as poss. Caveat emptor.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello, guys. I am new to this forum. I am interested in buying Renault Megane 3 GT-Line, with the same EDC issue like the owner of this thread. Sometimes, only sometimes the car can't shift to 2,4 and 6th gear and it shifts to the next one directly. For example from 1st gear it shifts directly to 3rd gear. Since this issue appears only sometimes, is it 100% electrical issue for sure? From reading in the forums, i saw that the options are:
1. Software update
2. Cleaning the electrical plugs and contacts
3. New gearbox control unit (ECU/TCU)
Am i right?

The car is from Renault dealer, so i guess that dealership quoted huge amount for fixing this and this is why the previous owner sold the car, but it is on very good price and i want to see if it can be fixed for normal price. I found local one Megane 2012 (1.5dci 130 hp) (the car i want to buy is 2010, 110 hp) on 50k kms crashed with gearbox for 400 euro. But i guess there are different codes of this type gearbox and the control unit and i doubt i have big chance to fit other gearboxes and control units.

What are your thoughts about this?

Thanks and happy new year!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello everyone, I have the same issue with gear 2,4,6 and reverse. It started suddenly and happens everytime after 15/20 minutes driving. If I stop and make the gearbox "cooling" for an hour, I can drive 15/20 minutes and only then the problem appears again. But if I stop and make the gearbox "cooling" for 2 minutes, restart the engine, it works only during 30 seconds to 1 minute. Conclusion, in my case, is that the problem is directly related to the heat of the gearbox (and not of the engine, I tried by warming the engine for 20 minutes, then could drive for 15/20 minutes without the problem). Does this element brings someone to a new thought of what the problem could be?

I've been reading everything I found about this problem and as the previous member message, I think that the problem could come from :
1- Electric plugs and contacts
2 - Clutch actuator servo/ solenoid
3 - Input speed sensor of the 2,4,6 clutch (not sure but maybe if it doesn't work properly, it could not send the speed message to the control unit and then generate the problem)
4 - Gearbox control unit (ECU/TCU)

Any news from anyone? Does somebody figured out what was the actual cause of this problem?
Thanks!

21 - 40 of 50 Posts