Independent Renault Forums banner

41 - 50 of 50 Posts

·
Premium Member
Captur 2017 1.5DCi EDC
3,793 Posts
Any of those four - check your fault codes to narrow it down. I had same problem and it was cured by a trip to Renault and reprogramming of the box (after all contacts were checked of course). My fault code was Clutch 1 fault - which it clearly wasn't

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi! I have a Grand Scenic 2011 1.5dCi with check auto gearbox sign. Reverse does not work and what I could read in this thread some of you have tried changing the solenoid. I can not find any solenoid on the different websites that sell parts. Do you have a picture of how the solenoid looks like and where it is fitted? (maybe a Renault part number?)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Have you tried everything else first? I haven't seen a single post that has had success with a new solenoid. Here's another one
captur 2014 transmission error is DF490 clutch 2 electrical circuit fault - MHH AUTO - Page 1
is there a stored fault code?
Thanks for the reply! It feels like I am now grasping at straws... The car has been out of use for 5 months and the Renault dealer says that it is no use doing anything because they think it is the clutch. It would cost more than the value of the car... But a car with 150k km... anyway. The codes I could read from the OBD are: ECU: P0380(96) (Glow plugs...), TCU: P1741(91) & (92) (torque converter clutch control error), P1771(1C), BCM: B1579(15), B1570(15).
I don't have a lot of knowledge with car mechanics and it feels like a jungle out there with all the posts... and again, thanks twogogs for taking your time replying.

·
Premium Member
Captur 2017 1.5DCi EDC
3,793 Posts
OK, first, the EDC box doesn't have a torque converter. It has two clutches (operated by solenoids). Other solenoids are used to operate the gear selections. Since the car has not been used for a while I have to ask what state is the car battery in? How old is it? First thing I would do is to disconnect the battery earth -ve lead (or remove it) and charge it fully overnight (make sure you have your radio code). Before doing this turn everything off, open the bonnet/hood and walk away for fifteen minutes for everything to shut down properly. Charge it fully - if it is more than 5 years old I would change it anyway, or at least borrow a good one. Don't need to waste too much money on parts yet. When reconnected (might need to re-initialise windows) see if the problem is still there. There is no harm in trying to clear the codes (once) to see if they come back. Depending on the reader, and as generic codes, they are not very helpful but I found that clearing the clutch codes resolved the issue for me, albeit temporarily. This was enough to tell me that there wasn't a catastrophic mechanical failure anywhere.

As said above, the battery could be the problem if it has been left unused for five months. Even more so if it is old. And Renaults don't like bad batteries. If all the above fails, I would get someone to check/clean all the external electrical connections to the box (including ECU).

You say reverse does not work - what happens when you engage it? I'm guessing the box won't change up to second gear either. What about in manual mode - can you force a change to third?

I went though all this. Having the box software (fuzzy logic) reprogrammed solved everything for me. That would be the next step but needs a Renault technician who understands what is going on - and these are not cheap, but not as costly as a gearbox repair.

·
Registered
5 Posts
OK, first, the EDC box doesn't have a torque converter. It has two clutches (operated by solenoids). Other solenoids are used to operate the gear selections. Since the car has not been used for a while I have to ask what state is the car battery in? How old is it? First thing I would do is to disconnect the battery earth -ve lead (or remove it) and charge it fully overnight (make sure you have your radio code). Before doing this turn everything off, open the bonnet/hood and walk away for fifteen minutes for everything to shut down properly. Charge it fully - if it is more than 5 years old I would change it anyway, or at least borrow a good one. Don't need to waste too much money on parts yet. When reconnected (might need to re-initialise windows) see if the problem is still there. There is no harm in trying to clear the codes (once) to see if they come back. Depending on the reader, and as generic codes, they are not very helpful but I found that clearing the clutch codes resolved the issue for me, albeit temporarily. This was enough to tell me that there wasn't a catastrophic mechanical failure anywhere.

As said above, the battery could be the problem if it has been left unused for five months. Even more so if it is old. And Renaults don't like bad batteries. If all the above fails, I would get someone to check/clean all the external electrical connections to the box (including ECU).

You say reverse does not work - what happens when you engage it? I'm guessing the box won't change up to second gear either. What about in manual mode - can you force a change to third?

I went though all this. Having the box software (fuzzy logic) reprogrammed solved everything for me. That would be the next step but needs a Renault technician who understands what is going on - and these are not cheap, but not as costly as a gearbox repair.
Thanks twogogs!
Well, yesterday I installed a new original Renault battery with the highest capacity for that model. I cleared the codes and ALL gears engaged! I took the car for a ride (20 minutes) all went well and I got a reply from the Renault mechanic that the gearbox has the latest software version. Crossing fingers now and hope I can squeeze more Km from this car. By the way, it is soon time for changing the timing belt... (apron. 900 Euros here in Sweden) Apparently it is quite a lot of work... thanks again two dogs!

·
Premium Member
Captur 2017 1.5DCi EDC
3,793 Posts
Thanks for letting us know, and glad you got it sorted. At least you know the gearbox is sound mechanically. If it happens again it is almost certainly an intermittent electrical or software issue. 900€ seems expensive for a timing belt replacement, even in Sweden. Not too difficult a job if you have the right equipment. Access around the engine is not good but's that is more than twice what it cost me for the same car.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Thanks for letting us know, and glad you got it sorted. At least you know the gearbox is sound mechanically. If it happens again it is almost certainly an intermittent electrical or software issue. 900€ seems expensive for a timing belt replacement, even in Sweden. Not too difficult a job if you have the right equipment. Access around the engine is not good but's that is more than twice what it cost me for the same car.
Well the happiness was short-lived but not the determination to make this car working. I started the car this morning and check auto gearbox came up again on the display. Same issue, no reverse. I put on reverse and the “R” flashes on the display and the gearbox handle “clicks” on time. So the last thing to do is to check the electrical connections to the gearbox, right? Do you know where they are? Are they easy to clean yourself?
/Fernando

·
Premium Member
Captur 2017 1.5DCi EDC
3,793 Posts
No, not easy unfortunately. I had my local garage do it. You can't get to anything on the Scenic without taking other bits off first. Sorry to hear that.

·
Registered
5 Posts
No, not easy unfortunately. I had my local garage do it. You can't get to anything on the Scenic without taking other bits off first. Sorry to hear that.
Ok, thanks! I’ll try to get hold on a smaller mechanic. Renault takes a fortune for this job.

41 - 50 of 50 Posts